- This event has passed.
Ogie Shaw: Childhood Obesity
October 2 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Education: Ogie Shaw is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with B.A. degrees in both Speech and Physical Education. He also holds a Master of Sacred Ministry degree from Multnomah (pronounced mult Noma) Biblical Seminary in Portland, Oregon. He earned a certificate as a Cooper Trained™ Health Promotion Director from the Cooper Institute® in Dallas, Texas.
Athletics: He played on two State Championship baseball teams in high school. He was an outstanding army football and basketball player, studied Karate in Japan, and holds a Second Degree Black Belt. He won First Place in the Carolina Karate Tournament.
Military: He served four years in the U.S. Army, and was presented the Army Commendation Medal for his work in Military Intelligence in Vietnam. He has served as Brigade Fitness Director for the Oregon National Guard.
Achievements: He is an accomplished musician having done studio recordings, TV shows, and international tours. He was presented the 1975 North Carolina State University International Student Award for his work with foreign students. He was a scholarship participant in the North Carolina Outward Bound School.
He was recruited to the Northwest by the Portland Police Bureau and Presented a Commendation by Chief Bruce Baker after only two months as a Portland Police Officer.
Community Service: He worked as a counselor for Janis Youth Programs, and served as a volunteer counselor for the Portland Vet Center. He served for three years on the Human Rights Advisory Commission for the City of Beaverton. He has served for over twenty years as Volunteer Pastor at Patton and Macdonald Retirement Homes in Portland, Oregon.
- He served as Fitness and Health Writer for the Valley Times and the Hillsboro Argus newspapers.
- He has served as a speaker at Governor’s Safety Conferences in both Oregon and Washington.
- He was nominated for the Board of Directors for the Oregon Public Health Association.
- He has lectured at over a dozen Northwest colleges and universities.
- In 1979 he designed an off-season conditioning program for the Portland Trailblazers.
- He has served as a consultant and instructor for the Seattle Seahawks in the use of isokinetic- aerobic exercise.
- He has given over 4,000 talks on Fitness Motivation.
Currently: He is Executive Director of Community Fitness Leaders, which is a training program for health and fitness professionals, and he is President of Ogie Shaw Fitness® & Ogie Shaw Wellness in Beaverton, Oregon.